Digital Eye Strain
What is digital eye strain? Is it permanent?
- The prolonged use of digital devices like smartphones, laptop screens etc. are unnatural.
- Constant watching super glowing display of digital devices are one such cause.
- Smaller text size while working may require you to focus more on the screen which results in digital eye strain.
- Blurry images also require a more focused eye which may cause digital eye strain.
- Less blinking of eyes ahead of the screen also can causeeye strain, which further can worse things leading to dry eye or irritation in the eye.
- Handling of devices at improper angles or distance can also cause digital eye strain.
Why digital eye strain is bad?
Symptoms of digital eye strain
- Redness in eyes.
- Blurry vision.
- Double vision.
- Teary eyes.
- Pain in neck and shoulder.
- Excess blinking.
Important: How to reduce digital eye strain?
On average, eye blinks 12 times per minute but when we are in front of a computer or TV screen we hardly blinks our eye 5 times per minute which causes strain i.e. digital eye strain.
- Set the brightness accordingly.
- Use glare reduction filters which are easily available.
- During night time, change the background color from bright white to a dull grey.
- Do choose bigger text fonts.
- All these settings are in your hand which mainly avoid the risk of digital eye strain by reducing the quantity of harmful blue light emitted from your screen and ensures future viewing comfort to the eyes.
Do take breaks more often. You can also try a recommended break rule by Vision council i.e. 20-20-20 rule. According to this rule you need to work for 20 minutes then take a 20-second break and appearance at something 20 feet away.