Digital Eye Strain
What is digital eye strain? Is it permanent?
With the evolution in technology, electronic gadgets like mobiles phones, laptops, televisions, desktop, e- readers, tablets, etc. are becoming our best buddies. As we are so glued with them.
Does one even realize the effect of this increasing screen time on your eyes and overall health. We people even can’t blame the technology as during this progressing world digital technology is playing a serious role like anything as a boon so as to realize everything at our doorstep with minimum efforts.
But it’s well said that everything involves us with its own limitation until we use it in the right way. So, today we gonna discuss digital eye strain- an avoidable eye pain.
Digital eye strain is the physical discomfort to eyes thanks to increased screen time on any of the digital devices. Digital eye strain may be a temporary effect that results to strain in eyes which may last certain hours. Digital eye strain is additionally referred to as Computer vision syndrome.
What causes the digital eye strain?
According to the reports released at Consumer Electronics Show by Vision Council, shows that mostly 90% of Americans are exposed to digital devices for quite 3 hours every day.
Shockingly, above 65% of adults whose age is in between 20-30 years are showing the signs of digital eye strain and reported that they’re spending not but 5 hours or more every day on digital devices. There is little question that the millennials are at higher risk and more susceptible to digital eye strain, as they need not put a limit on their screen time.
Digital eye strain is not caused by any single event. There are numerous factors that cause such a condition called digital eye strain.
- The prolonged use of digital devices like smartphones, laptop screens etc. are unnatural.
- Constant watching super glowing display of digital devices are one such cause.
- Smaller text size while working may require you to focus more on the screen which results in digital eye strain.
- Blurry images also require a more focused eye which may cause digital eye strain.
- Less blinking of eyes ahead of the screen also can causeeye strain, which further can worse things leading to dry eye or irritation in the eye.
- Handling of devices at improper angles or distance can also cause digital eye strain.
Why digital eye strain is bad?
Digital eye strain is bad for eye health becausethe super glowing digital devices release blue light which is harmful to eyes which not only causes eye strain but can worsen the condition by harming the retina of eyes.
Digital eye strain is additionally bad for people already affected by common eye ailments or preferring eyewear. This will worsen the condition of more serious eye effects like cataract or age-related macular degeneration.
Symptoms of digital eye strain
- Redness in eyes.
- Blurry vision.
- Double vision.
- Teary eyes.
- Pain in neck and shoulder.
- Excess blinking.
Important: How to reduce digital eye strain?
A medical advisor at Vision Council said that “our eyes are not built to stare at digital screens all day”. Since it is in our hand to stop the danger of digital eye strain by incorporating minor changes ahead of screen time of digital devices which includes-
1. First of all, I counsel you to offer an attempt to eye care check-up. None aside fromyou’ll prevent the risk of digital eye strain or the other eye ailments. So, do visit your doctor often for an eye exam. It’s a healthy practice to include in your routine. Check out the seven ways to improve your vision fast here.
2. Keep distance together with your device. There should be an arm’s length distance between your digital device (like a computer) and handheld devices should be kept at a level of 20 degrees below your eye level and placed at a distance from where your eyes enables us to read the screen comfortably.
3. Blink more and more. Blinking maybe a healthy practice which must be done more often to scale back the signs of dry eye, blurry vision or the other discomfort to eyes.
On average, eye blinks 12 times per minute but when we are in front of a computer or TV screen we hardly blinks our eye 5 times per minute which causes strain i.e. digital eye strain.
4. Customize your device settings which soothe the matter of digital eye strain.
- Set the brightness accordingly.
- Use glare reduction filters which are easily available.
- During night time, change the background color from bright white to a dull grey.
- Do choose bigger text fonts.
- All these settings are in your hand which mainly avoid the risk of digital eye strain by reducing the quantity of harmful blue light emitted from your screen and ensures future viewing comfort to the eyes.
5. Install soft white LED lights in your room. As proper lighting is a method to scale back the risk of digital eye strain. Avoid those super bright fluorescent lights. You can choose a lamp as it provides a softer and lighting fixtures. You can also try adjustable light bulbs that gets dim during the night time or consistent with your surroundings.
6. Eye exercises. Eye exercises are really helpful in improving and maintaining the vision of your eyes. Check out some useful eye exercises here.
Do take breaks more often. You can also try a recommended break rule by Vision council i.e. 20-20-20 rule. According to this rule you need to work for 20 minutes then take a 20-second break and appearance at something 20 feet away.
Remember short breaks can make an enormous difference.
7. Eyewear for digital devices. You can also try computer glasses as prescribed by the doctor for reducing the quantity of harmful blue lights entering your eyes. It is a much-preferred way of spending time ahead of the screen than contacts.
Using contacts for an extended time may increase the probabilities of dry eye. If you wear glasses then you ought to choose the anti-reflective (AR) coating lens which reduces the glare by minimizing the quantity of light reflecting back from the front and back surface of glasses.
Finally, remember everything is in your hand from improving the eye vision to avoiding the digital eye strain. Check out food for good eyesight here.
Conclusion: How long digital eye strain last?
As the factors affecting the individual eyes or causing digital eye strain are often different. Also, the time spent by the person ahead of the screen varies from individual to individual. So, there is no fixed hours time up to which the strain last. In short, it depends upon your screen time.But definitely, it goes away once you give rest to your eyes. So, remember “blink more and more”.